We had the lovely pleasure of seeing Marissa Meyer speak on her Fairest book tour this week! We learned a few fun facts about The Lunar Chronicles, Marissa Meyer, and her upcoming projects. ENJOY!
1. Marissa Meyer was obsessed with The Little Mermaid (the Disney version, not the Hans Christian Andersen one).
2. Marissa wrote Fairest in NINE days. She says it just poured out of her. (Originally it was going to be a shorter promotional novela, but she had too much to say so she turned it into a book!)
3. Cinder is based on Cinderella, Scarlet is based on Little Red Riding Hood, and Cress is based on Rapunzel. Cress and Rapunzel are both types of salad greens, hence the connection.
4. The Lunar Chronicles were inspired by Sailor Moon and science-fiction influences, like Star Wars. (Fun Fact: Han Solo was Marissa Meyer's "first love").
5. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen is Marissa Meyer's all-time favorite book (Harry Potter comes in at a close second).
6. Marissa DID sell the film rights for The Lunar Chronicles, although it is still unknown if and when a movie will come out.
7. There was almost a fifth book in The Lunar Chronicles based on Puss in Boots.
8. Marissa would love to see Cinder become an ice show. She also wants her own The Lunar Chronicles action figures.
9. Marissa used to go to anime conventions and dress up in cosplay with her friends.
10. Marissa is currently writing a standalone novel based on the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland, entitled Heartless.
Here are a few fun photos from the event...
Who is the fairest of them all?
The Lunar Chronicles COSTUME CONTEST!